cant_talk_knitting

Sunday, October 30, 2005

In which I am tagged and share other news

The Tag:
What is your all-time favourite yarn to knit with?
Hmmm, I tend to knit with yarn that I can afford, rather than what I fondle in the stores.

Oh, I know: Rowan wool/cotton (out of the yarns I've knit w/so far.)

Your favourite needles?
My 16" #5 addi turbos. One day I'll indulge in more...

The worst thing you’ve ever knit?

I've actually liked all of the things I've knit. Most frustrating? Perhaps Kyoto because of all the seaming.

Your most favourite knit pattern? (maybe you don’t like wearing it…but it was the most fun to knit)
The Saucy Tote from SnB Nation

Most valuable knitting technique?
Knitting in the round

Frogging with the confidence that I can get back to where I left off

Best knit book or magazine?
Book: Stitch 'n Bitch (though we're talking a very limited library)

Magazine: Knitty.com!!

Your favorite knit-a-long?
I really knit too slow to participate, I think.

Your favorite knitblogs?
San Francisco Knitter
Crazy Aunt Purl
Snake Surly

more to come...

Your favorite knitwear designer?

Don't have one yet

The knit item you wear the most? (how about a picture of it!)
I've worn Kyoto out of the house twice, which is two more times than Tempting, so I guess that counts. (need to block Tempting to get a curvier shape, I think)

Tag time!

Oh, SFK tagged Laurie, who is about the only person I know enough to tag, I think...


The Sad:

I looked up Sitcom Chic on the Knitty patterns forum & discovered what I suspected: I was doing the increase on the sleeve incorrectly. :( So, I ripped all the way back to the three first ribbed rows and started over. With a little help from Rupert Everett as Sherlock Holmes (ME-OW! Thanks, Masterpiece Theatre! I can pretend he's not gay if I want to.), I managed to get back to round 36 -- only 18 more rows to go before I catch up to where I was before frogging.

The nice thing is that I think I came to more peace with the dpns -- got into a groove and knit all those rows without it being tiresome. So I think maybe I need to not pick it up unless I'm going to do more than 6 rows -- gotta get into the zone and have at it.

Am hoping to do some more today, but need to pick up a book at the library and go to Berkeley Bowl, which is always horrid on a Sunday.

Finished "The Great Stink" by Clare Clark last night -- if you like historical novels, go get it. Reminicent of Dickens a little (and speaking of which, do you like my David Copperfield-style title today?) Also just finished "The Devil Wears Prada", which was cute and skewer-y in the same vein as "The Nannie Diaries", fun to read, but ultimately forgettable.

I am picking up "Onions in the Stew", which I discovered through Snake Surly's blog archives. It was written by Betty MacDonald, who wrote the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books which I loved loved loved as a kid, and can't wait to buy for my children. So, thanks to SS for the recommendation. Onions is a memoir, but I expect to enjoy it nonetheless.

And for a truly geek moment:

Last year I kept track of how many books I read -- 2004 was 127 (Hello, luxuries of grad school). To date in 2005: 72. The Difference? I learned to knit this year, so now books don't always have my undivided attention. However, I read each and every day, which cannot be said for knitting, so they will always be my first true love. Ah, well, once we have kids, it will be on the order of 5 books and no knitting, I guess. :)

1 Comments:

  • Shucks! I hope you love 'Onions in the Stew'. It's so fabulous, as are the rest of her memoirs.

    By Blogger Kate Schmidt, at 9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home